Many, but not all of these independent
seed companies have signed the Safe
Abundant Life Seeds
- A small grower in Oregon, dedicated to seed security
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, based
www.rareseeds.com/ - They
sell only heirloom varieties. Their selection of seeds is great
and their catalog has news stories related to GMOs.
- Unusual varieties, some good mixes suited to smaller gardens,
excellent botanical art No catalog. Get seeds online or in local
- In addition to a vast collection of heirloom vegetables, they
also have some grains that are hard to find including grains without
hulls, cover crops,
and the widger tool for transplanting. Intensive garden books have
strategies for growing a lot of food in community garden plots.
Brent and Becky's Bulbs
- Excellent selection of quality bulbs
- A gold mine for aromatic, culinary or medicinal herbs
- claims to be the oldest (1820)continuously operating seed company
in the U.S. They developed the Wethersfield Red onion but are now
just a distributor with a really nice retail store.
The Cook's Garden
- All sorts of Asian seeds. Good resource for fall cool weather
garden seeds. No catalog. Order online.
Multilingual dictionary of vegetable names. link
Fragrant Path Seed Co
- Seeds for fragrant, rare and old-fashioned plants
- They sell only seeds for trees and shrubs
- Great European seed resource. Also has interesting flower mixes.
Website in French
High Mowing Seeds
- We are dedicated to organic seeds like no other company in the
U.S. We have the highest organic integrity and attention to professional,
high-quality seeds and service.
- They were bought by Seminis. What some people are doing is buying
from them one last time and saving seed of op seeds or only getting
items which can't
be found at more sustainable places.
Asian seedselection, very reliable)
Kitchen Garden Seeds - John Scheepers
- Focusing on seeds for vegetables and flowers appropriate for the
kitchen garden.Web and catalog - Based in Connecticut
- They have interesting heirloom items. The company is so old that
every U S president from Washington to Roosevelt ordered from them.
www.meyersseed.com/ - Have
a lot of different kinds of beans.some seed coated with toxic chemicals
- Heirloom seeds including the sorts of plants that Jefferson grew
Native Seeds SEARCH
www.nativeseeds.org - not
a "seed supplier" but you can get southwestU.S. and Mexico
regional seeds from them and hopefully maintain your ownseed source.
New England Seed
www.neseed.com - relatively
new. Focuses on commercialgrowers to some degree. Donates all of
their leftovers at the end ofeach growing season.
New Gippsland Seeds
www.newgipps.com.au - (Australia)
New Hope Seed
- All of the seed offered is grown and produced here on their own
- They have a good variety of hard to find seeds plus books, cheesemaking,sourdough,
wine and beer making items for people who want to create more of
their own food.
Organic Gardening Catalogue
Path to Freedom
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
Plants of the Southwest
Used to be Shepherd's seeds. Now even more great seeds. Nice botanicalart.No
print catalog. Get seeds online or at a local retailer
www.richters.com - The greatest
variety of culinary, medicinal, dye, and multi-use herbs.
www.ronnigers.com - best
source for potatoes and garlic, also provide onions and sun chocks
Sand Hill Preservation
- You might remember Glenn Drowns as the teen in the Seed Savers
literaturewho collected heirloom squash. He still has a lot and
many other types ofheirloom vegetables.
Seeds from Italy
- Over 350 kinds of Italian seeds, mostly from Franchi Sementi.
Seeds of Change
Good variety of heirloom seeds.
Seed Savers Exchange
www.samen.ch - (Swiss)S.C. Foundation
Seed AssociationDr. David Bradshaw, S.C. Foundation Seed Association(864)
656-2520. Recently retired, Dr. Bradshaw has been gathering and
sustaining historic varieties for 2 decades at Clemson U. Great
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
- real friends for Southerngardeners
The Natural Gardening Company
- The first organic certified garden supply company - California
Thompson and Morgan-UK
Tomato Growers Supply
- Five hundred varieties of tomatoes, peppers and eggplant
- The owner is especially fond of large produce that tastes good
and producesprize winning vegetables. They are also famous for their
sweet pea flowers.
- An amazingly diverse collection of beans.
Quisenberry/Sudduth strain of Brandyine
West Coast Seeds
William Dam Seeds